Thursday 17 July 2014

Sepia Saturday 237 : 19 July 2014


I got so mesmerised by watching these ballet dancers that I almost forgot to put up this week's call. Thanks to Jo for pointing out the lack of a call and, as always, thanks to Marilyn for her "Alan!!!!!!" alert. But back to the dancers - and this rather nice 1909 photograph which features in the Flickr stream of the National Archives of Norway. If you are of a theming disposition, you might want to go to the ballet, or the dancehall, or the theatre or anywhere you find lots of chiffon and over-dramatic poses. Whether you are theming or not, simple post your post on or around Saturday 19th July 2014 and add a link to the list below.

Whilst the orchestra is playing the overture, you might want to look at the programme for the weeks ahead.

238 : Signs, big signs, small signs, men with their hands in their pockets

239  : Postcards, proverbs, mischievous women

But that is all for the future. Here comes the chorus, on their sepia toes. It is time to sit back and enjoy the performance that is Sepia Saturday 237



17 comments:

Little Nell said...

Ok I’ll start the ball rolling for once, before my life becomes too hectic again! I’ve gone with the humour in this prompt - oh, and dressing up.

Postcardy said...

Dancing on ice at an early ice skating show.

Kristin said...

Modern dancers from Central Congregational Church youth fellowship. 1955,Detroit.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

This prompt offered so many possibilities. I picked the least controversial of the heap in my photo box.

Joan said...

An Irish Jig in Klamath County

Wendy said...

4 girls in a row doing silly stuff

Anonymous said...

Sepia's four ballet dancers lead to four hula dancers.

Jofeath said...

No old dancing photos from me, but I have some that are a little more recent.

Mike Brubaker said...

A brilliant choice of a cross dressing theme that lets me tell a story of men in drag.

Alan doesn't say, but I do hope everyone has observed that on the Flickr page the dancers have the very masculine names of Harald, Ragnar, Frey, and Odd.

DougVernX said...

i went the theme of "fours."

Barbara Rogers said...

Nothing came leaping out at me, though chiffon did play a part in my life once...however without ballet slippers. So I pulled a great photo of some current young girls dressed as their favorite characters.

Éire Historian said...

Thanks for the inspiration! My post is entitled 'Tripping the light fantastic in the ballrooms of Dublin', and will appear tomorrow. Lots of chiffon and dancing at work. Cheers! Jennifer

Alex Daw said...

A trip down memory lane.

Tattered and Lost said...

A few gypsy women and a some cross-dressing ballerinas.

Sherri said...

I'm baaack. After way too long an absent. Life just gets in the way, huh? I went with the men in drag theme.

Alan Burnett said...

When you make a mess of things (and choose a group of cross-dressing men instead of a group of ballet dancers) the thing to do is to seize on your mistake and make the best of it - or make use of the Google "right to be forgotten"

Sharon said...

Better Late than Never! This started as one post but then as I noticed some coincidences, the post took more research (which I enjoy) and a totally different direction! The beauty of Sepia Saturday!